Friday, January 7, 2011

I finally get charged for water. But you'd never guess from who...

When you live on a bike, you drink a lot of water. Because (most) bikes aren't hooked up to a stable water supply, one needs to refill quite often. As I travel around the United States, it hasn't be as difficult to get my hands on clean, fresh water as I had initially predicted. Even in the most remote of areas, water holes exist. Indeed, one must only encounter a cafe, restaurant or bar in order to refill. Heck, even a Rona has filled me up.

The process is quite simple. You walk in with your bottles, making sure to identify yourself as a weary traveller. This is done in a variety of ways, although some are unavoidable. For example, you will likely already be dirty and smelly, but your cycling clothes or shoes will provide evidence that you are not some homeless person they'd rather kick to the curb. For added sympathy, bring your cycling specific gear inside with you, such as a helmet or riding gloves. You look like a dork, yes, but you have to keep your eye on the prize: you're here for water, not a modelling audition. You can also make sure to strategically position your bike outside where it is easily visible to those inside.

In most cases, however, it is unnecessary to do any of this and folks are often happy to fill up your bottles regardless of who you are. Although you might get a fun social encounter with some locals if they ask about your bike.

Before I left, I thought it'd be more difficult to obtain water refills. But until I hit the Florida Keys, I had no problem. But in the Keys I got turned away for the first time. Because of their geographic location, the Keys have very little fresh water and have to pipe in a lot from the Miami area. This doesn't come cheap and the region is littered with campaigns to conserve water -- difficult in a tourist economy. But restaurants, even Mom & Pop types, were more than happy to refill my bottles.

After spending $10 on food at a McDonald's in Marathon, Florida, I asked if they could also fill up my water bottles. The cashier gave me a strange look and said she'd have to charge me for it. Not only that, but she'd also have to pour it in one of their own cups, for inventory sake, I guessed. I didn't even bother to ask how much it would be and declined her offer.

I couldn't believe it. One of the richest companies in the world has to charge for water? This wouldn't be nearly as shocking had the Mom & Pop diner next door not been willing to fill up my bottles. But guess what? They were happy to.

Screw you McDonald's. You're lucky your food is so cheap and energizing, otherwise I'd join the group of largely ineffective boycotters.

No comments:

Post a Comment