Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Chris' Bike Trip: 2 Months to go...

I am now only two months away from my somewhat scheduled departure time for my bike tour around the United States. Since my last post on the trip, many different things have taken place.

Much of the progress has come in the form of equipment. A shopping spree on MEC's website eventually led to a smattering of new bags, sleeping/camping equipment and some new bike tools. When I'm finally ready to go I'll post a detailed list/photos of all the equipment I'll be bringing along. By far the most important investment in the past few weeks has been the purchase of a new, custom-built touring bike. I was exceptionally lucky to receive some gifts for convocation that allow me to purchase the new bike.

The bike is a Surly Long Haul Trucker, widely regarded as one of the top touring bikes on the market. After talking to a few friends about theirs, I elected to purchase it from a shop in Cambridge, Ontario called Cycle Cambridge. After providing my measurements, the folks at Cycle Cambridge will take the LHT frame and build it to my sizing with custom parts specific to my needs on the trip. For example, many of the parts will be high quality mountain bike parts, making durability and repairability a priority. I'm not going to pretend to know what makes all the different parts brands better than others, but I'll post a list of everything once I pick up the bike -- which is currently being built.

The route has endured a few changes. Rather than going from Winnipeg to Utah and up to Vancouver, I've elected to just go straight to Vancouver. There are two reasons for this: 1) prevailing winds will make travelling westward longer than is typical and 2) I'd like to beat the weather. I figure once I'm passed the Rockies, I'll be much safer weather wise. I will likely take the less-travelled Crowsnest Highway through southern BC as opposed to Highway #1, largely because I've already driven #1 and would like to see some other spots. If anyone is familiar with BC and some good sites, please let me know. I've already been told to check out the San Juan Islands just off Vancouver Island, although they're technically part of Washington.

The other possible route change might be more major and is one I have been mulling about in my head. I am nervous that come early-mid March, the weather along the Eastern Seaboard of the USA might be less than stellar. What may very well occur is that the trip might have to end around there, in one of the Carolinas. It can still get pretty chilly in the spring on the Atlantic. Of course, it is a long way off, but something I've been thinking about.

In other news, it looks as though Winnipeg will have to wait at least one more year until they get an NHL team, which means I'll get to make a stopover in Phoenix to watch a cheap Jets game. I'll be one of nine fans there. Seeing sports games will be a priority for me during this trip, especially ones in the southern US when the weather is nice. My dad often talks about travelling around the US when he was younger and seeing tons of MLB and NFL games, although tickets were far more affordable back then. Maybe I'll get to see Bosh, Wade (& Lebron?) in Miami when I swing by?

One aspect of the trip I am halfheartedly looking forward to is going to the Gulf Coast. It will still be an awesome spectacle, but for all the wrong reasons. What was once pristine natural land will now be oiled from the BP spill. This in itself will be a sight to see, but a truly sad one. One can only hope the area has had some chance to recover.

The notion that the trip is happening has been growing on my family, some of which have been less than enthusiastic. However, the benefits of the trip are starting to headline their thoughts of it, as opposed to all of the unlikely, yet possible, risks. There is even talk of my meeting up with my parents somewhere down south for their now-annual winter vacation. That would certainly be a treat.

As the date gets closer I will have to plan more carefully and look at specific routes. In chatting with a friend today, he suggested I start making a plethora of Google Map routes complete with documents on accomodations, attractions, roads, food and other things. I'll certainly start looking into that.

On a blogospheric note, I am trying to get the Winnipeg Free Press to host my blog posts on the trip, so it would be located both here and on that site. The most recent thing I've heard is that they are considering it, but could provide no money for it. I will have to rely on the earnings from this blog to get me through the trip. If only Tim would up my allowance...

Once I get closer to the departure date, I will try to provide as financially transparent a blog as possible. People tend to think money matters are taboo, but for others thinking about doing a trip like this, I think it would be extremely helpful to know how much it really costs. Plus, it will help me keep track of my own expenses.

Some people have asked me about training for the trip. I ride my bike almost everywhere I go and am already in very good shape. Later this month I will be making a few weekend bike tours around parts of Ontario and some in Manitoba when I arrive. I already know I can go at least 150 km in a day without killing myself from rides I've previously done, on a loaded mountain bike no less. But my approach will be to 'train as I go', perhaps going farther each day as I get used to the distances and the lifestyle. I'm sure there are far more rigid training regimens for a trip of this nature, but I hate training, so we'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment