Monday, July 6, 2009

Central Ontario's Multi-Use Loop Trail...


A number of days ago I elected to ride my bicycle from Peterborough to Haliburton, ON for a large family gathering at a lakeside resort. I estimated the ride itself to be between 130 and 140 km. I've ridden to Lindsay, ON many times, which is only 45 km from Peterborough and connected via a wonderful multi-use trail that was once an old CN rail line. In doing my research to bike to Haliburton, I discovered that the trail from Peterborough to Lindsay was only part of a larger system known as the COLT (Central Ontario Loop Trail).

Just like the Peterborough-Lindsay section, much of the trail is made from an old, abandoned CN rail line. This is particularly advantageous for cyclists as it allows for the evasion of the large rolling hills scattered across central Ontario. In planning my trip I figured the quality of the trail would remain the same after Lindsay and I would be able to arrive in Haliburton in due time. I was wrong.

The route from Peterborough to Lindsay is quite enjoyable and the path is composed of well-packed and solid limestone. This is good enough for most bike types, although road bikes and some touring bikes with very thin tires might find it a bit too cumbersome. However, the quality of the trail (for biking purposes) plummets north of Fenelon Falls, a wonderful lakeside town 20 km north of Lindsay. I had been warned of this change, but elected to give it a go anyway rather than moving to the highway.

This particular section of the trail was now open to ATVs (all-terrain vehicles). And you could tell. The trail is a dream ride for ATV riders, complete with kilometres of very large rocks, swampy soil and sandy ground. For a cyclist, however, this terrain is remarkably frustrating. After about 30 very long km on this path I switched onto the highway.

The highways are especially kind because of the flat concrete. But the hills, passing cars and lack of a paved shoulder can make it quite harrowing. The particular day I went was characterized by lots and lots of rain, making it even more difficult. Upon reaching Kinmount, I foolishly assumed the trail would get better, which it did for about one kilometre. However, sand and rocks were soon again the theme of the trail and I once again had to jump onto the hilly, wet and dangerous highway. But soon enough I was in Haliburton.

I have several other summer weekend bike trips planned in Central Ontario that all revolved around that trail, but judging from what I've experienced this past week I am less inclined to rely on the trail to get around.

The rail trail is a wonderful addition to the area and has been around for quite some time. While most sections are quite fitting for walkers, hikers, mountain bikers and ATV enthusiasts, they certainly are not yet ready for long-distance cyclists. This, I feel, will come with time. After all, a few years ago the Peterborough-Lindsay section wasn't much better. But with hard work, funding and dedicated people (often from non-profits, volunteers and conservation organizations) these trails can be enjoyable and well-usable for everyone.

But until that happens, I would stick to highways if you feel like biking long distances in that area. More on trails in the area later...

No comments:

Post a Comment